Job Purpose – overview
West Lothian Leisure is a Community Benefit Organisation, a registered Scottish charity. It is at the heart of the West Lothian community, helping people to improve their wellbeing and make healthy lifestyle choices. We care passionately about the service we provide to the people who live, work and visit West Lothian. As a valued organisation that understands, cares about and engages with its community, we are the delivery partner of choice for West Lothian organisations responsible for improving people’s lives through sport, health and physical activity.
Your role as a Duty Manager is to ensure the delivery of excellent customer service by providing line management, support, guidance and leadership to facility staff. In doing so assisting the Facility Manager to achieve the financial, customer, employee, internal business processes and learning and growth objectives of the Charity.
Core Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Manage by walk around, being a visible presence to customers and staff to positively influence the implementation of the Customer Service Strategy, service standards, policies, procedures and guidance of the Charity.
- Ensure that all staff, customers, contractors and visitors are working to the highest standards to ensure a safe and secure environment
- Implementation of the organisations, policies, procedures and working guidance
- Ensure sufficient numbers of appropriately trained staff are available to safely deliver services
- Manage the performance of staff
- Assist in the recruitment, coaching, and development of staff
- Ensure that the facility programme is delivered successfully in accordance with the service standards
- Ensure the highest standards of cleanliness in the facility
- Prepare timesheets for authorisation
- Liaise with property maintenance staff and contractors to ensure that assets are maintained to the highest standard.
- Achieve some limited throughput targets for specific areas of operation agreed with the Facility Manager.
- Manage some limited areas of the leisure centre budget delegated by the Facility Manager.
- Actively promote and sell products and services
- Undertake administrative functions, stock management and the maintenance of accurate records
- Ensure that cash takings are secure and counted in line with the Charity’s policies and procedures.
- Carry out general tasks including routine maintenance and cleaning duties.
The above list is illustrative, not exhaustive. Accordingly, there may be a requirement to undertake additional duties, consistent with the level of the post, as directed by management.
Essential Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- An excellent ability to demonstrate the core competencies.
- Successful study at HNC level or above or equivalent.
- 1-2 years supervisory experience, preferably in a similar leisure centre environment.
- Excellent customer service skills and experience, preferably within a similar leisure environment
- Managing safety in a similar leisure environment
- Hold or willingness to study for CMI Leadership and Management Level 3 within the first year
- Hold or willingness to study for ILM Coaching qualification (level 3) within first year in post.
- IOSH Managing Safely within the first year
- Pool Plant Certificate within the first year of employment.
- Knowledge of sport and leisure programming
- Hold or willingness to obtain and apply knowledge/skills from Emergency First Aid qualification.
- Hold or willingness to obtain, update and apply knowledge/skills from automated external defibrillator (AED) qualification.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Competent level of skill with Excel, Word
- Good administrative skills with the ability to write reports and letters.
Desirable Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A commendable secondary school education achieving 3 Highers or more or equivalent.
- Full membership of a relevant professional body.
- National Pool Lifeguard Qualification.
- Gym Instructor Level 2 or equivalent.
- Coaching/sports coaching qualification.
- Proficient in the use of MRM Information Management System.
- Budgetary responsibility experience.
- Maintenance of Swimming pool plant and water treatment equipment.
- Working knowledge of membership administration and sales techniques.
- Being available for emergency call outs.
- At times will work in hot, humid and occasionally noisy conditions.
- Open and close the Leisure Centre and ensuring security of its assets
Core organisational competencies
- Service delivery
Champions the service, focusing on individual customer’s needs and responding with service that surpasses their expectations.
- Honesty and integrity
Being truthful, keeping promises and commitments and making ethical decisions.
- Respect for equality and diversity
Understanding others’ behaviours and culture and treating everyone fairly.
- Personal effectiveness
Personal responsibility for making things happen – being accountable for your own actions.
Core Management competencies
- Developing self and others
- Investing time and resources in developing self and others’ capability.
- Team working/Leading and inspire
- Motivating others and developing teams to deliver the trust’s objectives.
- Strategic thinking
- Making sense of complex and disparate ideas and innovating.
- Commercial focus/awareness
- Investigating and gathering information in order to make sound commercial decisions.
- Entrepreneurial drive
- Being business focused with a desire to constantly improve performance.
- Partnership working/stakeholder management
- Working effectively with others inside and outside the trust to achieve the best outcomes.
- Analysis and decision making
- Identifying and analysing relevant data from multiple sources. Making objective and timely decisions based on available evidence and sound analysis. Generating a range of ideas to support decision making process.
- This position is subject to a Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme check.
- Hours will be worked on a shift rota basis and will include evenings and weekend working
- You will be required to be available for emergency call outs
- You will be required to be aware of current Health and Safety Policy and to take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.
Apply Online now