Xcite Livingston Lifeguard LVCLG024
Closing date: Monday 9th December 2019 at 12 noon
Based at: Xcite Livingston Leisure Centre
Rate of pay: £9.00 per hour
Hours of work: 34.5 per week
||13:30 - 21:30
||14:30 - 21:30
||15:00 - 21:30
||15:00 - 21:30
||09:00 - 15:30
Apply online here
Job Purpose - Overview
West Lothian Leisure is a Community Benefit Organisation, a registered Scottish charity. It is at the heart of the West Lothian community, helping people to improve their wellbeing and make healthy lifestyle choices. We care passionately about the service we provide to the people who live, work and visit West Lothian. As a valued organisation that understands, cares about and engages with its community, we are the delivery partner of choice for West Lothian organisations responsible for improving people’s lives through sport, health and physical activity.
Your role as a Lifeguard is to prevent accidents by identifying hazards and taking preventative measures whilst working as part of a wider team to deliver excellent customer service.
Core Accountability & Responsibilities
- Patrol the pool sides(s) or sit in an elevated chair to supervise the swimming pool(s) and its users
- Stop behaviour which could be dangerous
- Respond quickly in emergency situations to effect rescues
- Perform first aid if required
- Undertake routine maintenance and cleaning duties
- Set up and take down sports equipment such as lane ropes and diving blocks
- Undertake scheduled water tests such as PH and chlorine levels
- Deliver excellent customer service and resolve customer complaints should they arise
- Process bookings and payments through cash and credit card transactions
- Promote products and services to customers and visitors.
- Maintain vending stock levels (at designated facilities)
- Undertake general administrative tasks to support the delivery of programmes and services
- Attend regular training to maintain job competence and the NPLQ
The above list is illustrative, not exhaustive. Accordingly, there may be a requirement to undertake additional duties, consistent with the level of the post, as directed by management.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- A good ability to demonstrate the core competencies.
- 2 standard grades or equivalent in Mathematics and English (or similar)
- Hold and maintain National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (Level 2)
- Hold or willingness to obtain, update and apply knowledge/skills from automated external defibrillator (AED) qualification.
- Suitable and sufficient face to face customer service experience, preferably in a similar role.
- A working knowledge of Health and Safety responsibilities in a swimming pool environment.
- Willingness to continuously develop and attend training and development sessions in line with your personal training plan, on occasion out-with your normal hours of work, to ensure the required level of competence.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- Successful study of a relevant subject at NC level or equivalent.
- Coaching and/or sports coaching qualifications.
- Level 2 Gym Instructor or equivalent.
- A working knowledge of the maintenance of swimming pool plant and water treatment equipment.
- A working knowledge/willingness to learn about the Charity’s policies and procedures/products and services.
- Taking possession of security keys to open and close the leisure centre as may be required.
- Will often work in hot, humid and noisy conditions.
Core organisational competencies
- Service delivery
- Champions the service, focusing on individual customer’s needs and responding with service that surpasses their expectations.
- Honesty and integrity
- Being truthful, keeping promises and commitments and making ethical decisions.
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Understanding others’ behaviours and culture and treating everyone fairly.
- Personal effectiveness
- Personal responsibility for making things happen – being accountable for your own actions.
- This position is subject to a Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme check.
- Hours will be worked on a shift rota basis and is likely to include evenings and weekend working.
- You will be required to be aware of current Health and Safety Policy and to take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.