Job Purpose – overview
West Lothian Leisure is a Community Benefit Organisation, a registered Scottish charity. It is at the heart of the West Lothian community, helping people to improve their wellbeing and make healthy lifestyle choices. We care passionately about the service we provide to the people who live, work and visit West Lothian. As a valued organisation that understands, cares about and engages with its community, we are the delivery partner of choice for West Lothian organisations responsible for improving people’s lives through sport, health and physical activity.
Your role as a Receptionist is to provide a high quality reception, telephone and sales service and to work as part of a team to deliver excellent customer service.
Core Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Provide a professional and friendly reception and switchboard service to customers in line with the Charity’s service objectives.
- Undertake cash transactions and implement financial procedures.
- Process bookings and memberships
- Deliver excellent customer service and resolve customer complaints should they arise
- Undertake general administrative tasks such as word-processing and filing to support the delivery of programmes and services.
- Produce summary reports at designated intervals
- Promoting products and services to customers and visitors.
- Maintain vending stock levels and process takings (at designated facilities)
- Undertake general routine maintenance and cleaning duties around the reception area
The above list is illustrative, not exhaustive. Accordingly, there may be a requirement to undertake additional duties, consistent with the level of the post, as directed by management.
Essential Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A good ability to demonstrate the core competencies.
- 2 standard grades or equivalent in Mathematics and English (or similar)
- Experience of providing a friendly reception and switchboard service
- Face to face customer service experience, preferably in similar leisure environment
- Cash handling experience.
- Willingness to continuously develop and attend training and development sessions in line with your personal training plan, on occasion out-with your normal hours of work, to ensure the required level of competence.
Desirable Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Successful study of a relevant subject at level HNC or equivalent
- Good level of competence in a wide range of software applications including Word, Excel, MRM, Exchequer, Outlook.
- A working knowledge/willingness to learn about the Charity’s policies and procedures/products and services.
- Occasionally taking possession of security keys to open and close the facility
- Mentoring new and existing staff in the role
Core organisational competencies
- Service delivery
- Champions the service, focusing on individual customer’s needs and responding with service that surpasses their expectations.
- Honesty and integrity
- Being truthful, keeping promises and commitments and making ethical decisions.
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Understanding others’ behaviours and culture and treating everyone fairly.
- Personal effectiveness
- Personal responsibility for making things happen – being accountable for your own actions.
- This post is subject to a basic check from Disclosure Scotland.
- Hours will be worked on a shift rota basis and is likely to include evenings and weekend working
- You will be required to be aware of current Health and Safety Policy and to take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.