Job Purpose – overview
Casual Venue Assistant Howden HPCVA001
Job Title : Venue Assistant
Location : Howden Park Centre, Livingston
Salary : £8.5144 per hour
Hours per week : Ad-hoc, as and when required to cover absences or busy periods
Job Code : HPCVA002
Closing date : 25 October 2017
Click here to apply on-line
West Lothian Leisure is a Community Benefit Organisation, a registered Scottish charity. It is at the heart of the West Lothian community, helping people to improve their wellbeing and make healthy lifestyle choices. We care passionately about the service we provide to the people who live, work and visit West Lothian. As a valued organisation that understands, cares about and engages with its community, we are the delivery partner of choice for West Lothian organisations responsible for improving people’s lives through sport, health and physical activity, outdoor education and culture
Your role as a Venue Assistant is to ensure that programmes, services and activities are supported whilst working as part of a wider team to deliver excellent customer service.
Core Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Delivering excellent customer service and resolving customer complaints if they arise
- Providing stewarding services to visitors to events, advising and guiding them around the facility and ensuring their safety throughout performances.
- Setting up and take down displays and equipment, making sure that it is safe and well maintained
- Assisting in the “get-in” phase of exhibitions in the public gallery space, moving and polishing exhibition cabinets, fetching and carrying tools and equipment and pieces of art.
- Serving food and drinks from the bar and restaurant.
- Taking orders, clearing tables, washing glasses, keeping work areas clean and tidy, setting up tables, polishing glasses and cutlery, washing dishes, unloading the dishwasher, restocking food and drink, cash handling and cashing up.
- Emptying waste bins or similar receptacles, transporting waste material to designated collection points.
- Undertaking general cleaning duties to ensure the highest standard of cleanliness
- Undertaking Receptionist duties including processing bookings and payments through cash and credit card transactions
- Supporting the wider facilities team in promoting products and services
- Maintaining vending machine stock levels
- Undertaking general administrative tasks to support the delivery of programmes and services
- Reporting and monitoring defects in the Charity’s property and assets
The above list is illustrative, not exhaustive. Accordingly, there may be a requirement to undertake additional duties, consistent with the level of the post, as directed by management.
Essential Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Demonstrate good core competencies.
- 2 standard grades or equivalent in Mathematics and English (or similar)
- Hold or willingness to obtain and apply knowledge/skills from Emergency First Aid qualification.
- Suitable and sufficient face to face customer service experience, preferably in a similar role.
- Willingness to continuously develop and attend training and development sessions in line with your personal training plan, on occasion out-with your normal hours of work, to ensure the required level of competence.
- Understanding of good customer care practice
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritise different demands
- Good organisational skills
- The ability to work within a team and alone.
- Must be able to demonstrate attention to detail
Desirable Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Successful study of a relevant subject at NC level or above
- First Aid at Work qualification
- A working knowledge/willingness to learn about the Charity’s policies and procedures/products and services.
- Front-of-house catering experience
- Cash handling and financial reconciliation
Taking possession of security keys to open and close the venue as required.
Core organisational competencies
Champions the service, focusing on individual customer’s needs and responding with service that surpasses their expectations.
Honesty and integrity
Being truthful, keeping promises and commitments and making ethical decisions.
Respect for equality and diversity
Understanding others’ behaviours and culture and treating everyone fairly.
Personal responsibility for making things happen – being accountable for your own actions.
- This position is subject to a Basic Disclosure Scotland check.
- Required to work flexibly including public holidays, evenings and weekends, to meet service demands.
- May be required to attend meetings, on occasion out-with normal hours of work
- You will be required to be aware of current Health and Safety Policy and to take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.