Sports Coach Level 2 Outdoor Education
At Lowport Linlithgow we sometimes require flexible individuals who can be called into action at short notice!
You'll be on standby to help during busy times and to cover holidays.
Salary: £16.81 per hour
Closing date: extended until Friday 2nd March 2018
Apply online here
Job Purpose – overview
=West Lothian Leisure is a Community Benefit Organisation, a registered Scottish charity. It is at the heart of the West Lothian community, helping people to improve their wellbeing and make healthy lifestyle choices. We care passionately about the service we provide to the people who live, work and visit West Lothian. As a valued organisation that understands, cares about and engages with its community, we are the delivery partner of choice for West Lothian organisations responsible for improving people’s lives through sport, health and physical activity, outdoor education and culture
Your role as an Outdoor Education Coach/Instructor (Level 2) is to plan and deliver a comprehensive programme of outdoor education instruction to nationally recognised standards whilst working as part of a wider team to deliver excellent customer service.
Core Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Plan and execute a fun, safe and engaging coaching programme
- Evaluate performance and provide suitable feedback
- Assess strengths and weaknesses in a participant's performance and identify areas for further development
- Communicate instructions and commands using clear, simple language
- Encourage participants to gain and develop skills, knowledge and techniques
- Correct faults in techniques and identify ways to ensure progression
- Maintain records of customer progress through continual assessment and communicate any changes effectively with the on-site management team.
- Respond quickly in emergency situations
- Deliver excellent customer service, liaising with students and guardians to resolve complaints should they arise
- Promote products and services to customers and visitors
- Undertake general administrative tasks to support the delivery of programmes and service
- To participate in preparation and follow up to sessions including maintenance and repairs
- Working to a high legal and ethical standard at all times, particularly in relation to issues such as child safeguarding and health and safety requirement
- Attend training and development sessions, occasionally out-with your normal hours of work, to ensure your Health and Safety competence and your continuous professional development.
The above list is illustrative, not exhaustive. Accordingly, there may be a requirement to undertake additional duties, consistent with the level of the post, as directed by management.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- A good ability to demonstrate the core competencies.
- UKCC Level 2 in Sports Coaching or UKCC Level 1 in Sports Coaching and a willingness to obtain and apply knowledge/skills from the Level 2 Coaching qualifications should include a range of governing body qualifications such as British Canoe Union, Royal Yachting Association, British Mountaineering Council, British Cycling.
- 2 standard grades or equivalent in Mathematics and English (or similar)
- Competent level of skill with Excel, Word.
- Suitable and sufficient experience of coaching of children and adults.
- A working knowledge of coach’s Health and Safety responsibilities
- Willingness to continuously develop and attend training and development sessions in line with your personal training plan, on occasion out-with your normal hours of work, to ensure the required level of competence.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- Hold and maintain a recognised First Aid at Work qualification.
- D1 or D1E on driving licence
- Hold additional coaching and/or sports coaching qualifications.
- A working knowledge/willingness to learn about the Charity’s policies and procedures/products and services.
- Knowledge and experience of Curriculum for Excellence, particularly in Outdoor Learning
- You will be required to be aware of current Health and Safety Policy and to take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work
Core organisational competencies
- Service delivery
- Honesty and integrity
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Personal effectiveness
- This position is subject to a Protecting Vulnerable Groups (PVG) scheme check.
- Hours are likely to include evenings and weekend working