5 teams of competitors from West Lothian care homes represented the Xcite Ageing Well Care Activity Network (C.A.N) at this year's Glasgow Sporting Senior Games. The annual event, held by Scotland largest Veteran’s charity Erskine, promotes active living, wellbeing and quality of life among older people.
Teams from care homes across Scotland competed for medals and the coveted John Bowman Trophy. Competing against teams from Glasgow and Edinburgh, the West Lothian teams participated in a number of activities including Boccia, New Age Kurling, Basketball, Javelin and Ten Pin Bowling.
The teams competing were residents of: Craigmair Nursing Home; Holmeview Nursing Home; Peacock Nursing Home; Linlithgow Care Home and Whitdale Care Home. All West Lothian teams came away from the games with a prize including;
- Peacock Nursing Home winning the Gold Medal in Seated Basketball
- Holmesview Nursing Home winning the Gold Medal in Boccia
- Whitdale Care Home winning Gold medal in New Age Kurling and Bronze in Javelin
- And Linlithgow Care Home winning Gold medal in Javelin and Bronze medals for Ten Pin Bowling
This year the glittering John Bowman trophy went to Craigmair Nursing Home, from Livingston. The triumphant team were over the moon to be presented with the trophy and to receive a range of gold, silver and bronze medals.
- Team Craigmair Nursing Home won Gold in Standing Baksetball, Silver in Seated Basketball, Silver in Javelin and Silver in New Age Kurling resulting in them winning the overall games.
Xcite Ageing Well Development Officer Avril Clerkson commented:
Well done to all teams representing C.A.N West Lothian at the annual Sporting Senior Games and a special congratulations to Team Craigmiar on being crowned the overall champions for 2022. It was a brilliant day and everyone had a fantastic time.
The teams attended an awards ceremony on 31st August at the Glynhil Hotel in Renfrew where they were presented with their awards.