Since the closure of Low Port Centre in 2021 the provision of Outdoor Learning and Adventure Activities for schools in West Lothian has been provided by Xcite Outdoors. The outdoor team are based at Xcite Linlithgow and continue to offer a range of activities and opportunities for schools to allow pupils to access a variety of outdoor spaces throughout West Lothian and beyond.
At Xcite Outdoors we firmly believe that what ever form it takes spending time in the outdoors supports children and young people in the following areas: -
- Nurture: helping pupils to reach their potential in a less stressful context
- Growth mind-set: developing skills for lifelong learning and positive ways of thinking
- Resilience: overcoming challenges and making the best of difficult situations
- Connecting to nature and think sustainably: getting inspired, being curious and learning about the amazing natural world around us in West Lothian
- Health and wellbeing: being outdoors is good for you, it’s a fact!
What is activities do we run?
Our activities are run from our base in Linlithgow with the majority of our paddle sports taking place on the Union Canal. We are able to visit other venues such as Loch Ard and the Falkirk Wheel using our minibus and trailer.
We can provide the following activities: -
- Canoeing, Kayaking & Stand Up Paddleboarding.
- Archery, Team Building Challenges
- Mountain Biking, Orienteering
- Dry slope skiing
What type of programme can you do?
Most schools opt for a 1- or 2-day activity package, example of which are below: -
· Full day canoeing, or
· ½ day canoe + ½ day team building, or
· ½ day archery + ½ day team building
- Day 1 - full day canoeing
- Day 2 - ½ day archery + ½ day team building
We have found that the above works well when planning activities for a whole class group but are happy to look at a ‘bespoke’ programme to fit your needs.
As well as organising programmes for whole classes we can design options for blocks of activities for smaller groups of pupils who would benefit from spending time outdoors working together such as those in a nurture group or on a part-time timetable.
We are often able to provide transport to and from your school using our minibus, options for this can be discussed as part of your booking.
We would love to hear from you if you have a group of pupils who you think would benefit from and enjoy participating in the activities and adventures we can offer. To have a chat about options for your group please email Iain Richardson, Outdoor Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org