Healthy Fish & Chips!
- 4x 150g fish fillets (cod, haddock or Pollock)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and fresh ground pepper
- 900g Maris piper or King Edward potatoes
- Low fat cooking spray
- 60g dried breadcrumbs
- 4 tbsp. fresh chopped parsley
- Pre heat the oven at 200oc/180oc Fan/ gas 6.
- Then place fish fillets into a bowel and sprinkle over the lemon juice and season well. Then leave for 1 hour to marinade.
- Peel the potatoes and cut into thick chips. Place into a pan of hot water and par boil for 5 minutes.
- Once boiled drain and dry the chips on paper towel. Transfer the chips to non-stick baking sheet and then spray with low fat cooking oil.
- Mix together the breadcrumbs, parsley and seasoning to taste. Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl, then dip in the fish fillets into the egg mixture then into the breadcrumb mixture one fillet at a time.
- Place the fish fillet onto a baking sheet and spray with low calorie oil spray.
- Place the chips into the pre-heated oven cook for 10 minutes the place the fish fillets into the oven and cook for a further 15-20 minutes.
Enjoy with tartar sauce and a squeeze of lemon!
This Cajun Chicken pasta is a favourite @ our Xcite Linlithgow cafe made by Mary! Why not make it at home?
- 250g Linguine
- 500g chicken strips
- 2tsp cajun seasoning
- 1tsp garlic powder
- 2 peppers, chopped
- 250g mushrooms
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/3cup skimmed milk
- 3tbsp light cream cheese
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- Add your chicken strips and spices to a bowl and mix until coated
- Cook the linguine and drain
- Saute the chicken and chopped vegetables
- Blend the skimmed milk, cream cheese and cornflour to create a slurry
- Add the slurry to the cooked chicken and veg, mix and add in cooked linguine
- Season and enjoy!
Chilli Con Carne made by Kim @ Xcite Livingston
Make it at home -
- 400g mince
- 2 onions
- 400g kidney beans
- 800g tinned tomatoes
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2tbsp of tomato puree
- 2tbsp of chilli powder
- Peel and finely chop the onions.
- Place the mince with onions and garlic in a pan and cook until mince has browned.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and chilli powder. Cook thoroughly then add kidney beans and heat through.
Serve it up with rice and salsa or turn it in to Nachos!
Mango & Sultana Loaf by Julia @ Xcite Bathgate
- 425g tin of mango slices in Juice
- 375g sultanas
- 1 tsp bi-carbonate of soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (approx. 160g) self-raising flour
- Place mango and sultanas in saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer for 8 minutes then leave to cool
- Once cool add in bi-carbonate, egg, flour and mix well
- Bake in a 2lb leaf tin for 50-60 minutes at 180c