Job Purpose – overview
West Lothian Leisure is a Community Benefit Organisation, a registered Scottish charity. It is at the heart of the West Lothian community, helping people to improve their well-being and make healthy lifestyle choices. We care passionately about the service we provide to the people who live, work and visit West Lothian. As a valued organisation that understands, cares about and engages with its community, we are the delivery partner of choice for West Lothian organisations responsible for improving people’s lives through sport, health and physical activity, outdoor education and culture
Your role as a Technician is to operate and maintain lighting and sound including pre-rigging the auditorium to touring company and hirer’s specifications. And to maintain all aspects of Howden Park Centre’s technical operation and technical infrastructure in accordance with health and safety legislation and policy.
Core Accountabilities & Responsibilities
Promoting and adhering to health and safety legislation and guidance to ensure that staff, visitors and contractors are working safely
- Carrying out risk assessments and ensuring that hirers and visiting companies undertake and adhere to risk assessments
- Being responsible for the operation and maintenance of lighting, sound, audio visual and other technical equipment
- Rigging, operating and controlling sound, lighting and projection equipment; acting as stage management and crew as required
- Maintaining all technical equipment in safe and good working order and ensure electrical equipment is tested annually (PAT) and that it is inspected regularly
- Liaising with programme performers, companies and agents on technical requirements for visiting productions
- Providing technical support and advice to all users
- Liaising with Property Services
- Undertaking minor repairs and advising on technical procedures
- Providing technical support and advice to hirers of the facility
- Maintaining an inventory of equipment and related stock
- Ensuring that all hirers comply with Conditions of Let with specific reference to technical requirements
- Liaising with Front of House staff to co-ordinate performance requirements
- Providing general assistance with the preparation and setting up of facilities for events and performances
- Delivering excellent customer service, resolving customer concerns and complaints if they arise.
- Promoting products and services to customers, potential customers and visitors
The above list is illustrative, not exhaustive. Accordingly, there may be a requirement to undertake additional duties, consistent with the level of the post, as directed by management.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Demonstrate good core organisational competencies (Below)
- Have excellent face to face customer service skills and experience, preferably within a similar events, hospitality or leisure environment
- Experience of working effectively with amateur and professional performance companies
- Experience of technical management; both in venues and on tour
- Knowledge and experience of all aspects of technical theatre, including rigging and focussing lights
- Knowledge and experience of sound, including rigging, and operation of digital mixing desks.
- Knowledge of statutory requirements such as health and safety, insurances and inspections
- Experience of preparing and working with risk assessments
- Experience of dealing with suppliers to source equipment using negotiation and communication skills.
- Skills in Projection/AV/ Video
- Ability to organise and prioritise own workload
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to deadlines
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Able to work flexibly and with attention to detail
- Hold or willingness to obtain IOSH Managing Safely within the first year of employment
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Knowledge and experience of lighting design
- Knowledge of DMX lighting control protocols
- Ability in soldering, including to PCBs
- Required to take possession of security keys to open and close the facility as required
- The work can be physically demanding and includes working at heights and carrying heavy equipment
Core organisational competencies
Champions the service, focusing on individual customer’s needs and responding with service that surpasses their expectations.
Honesty and integrity
Being truthful, keeping promises and commitments and making ethical decisions.
Respect for equality and diversity
Understanding others’ behaviours and culture and treating everyone fairly.
Personal responsibility for making things happen – being accountable for y
our own actions
- This position is subject to a Basic Disclosure Scotland check.
- The job-holder is required to ensure technical knowledge and skills are kept up-to-date
- Required to work flexibly including public holidays, evenings and weekends, to meet service demands.
- You will be required to be aware of current Health and Safety Policy and to take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.