Job Purpose – overview
West Lothian Leisure is a Community Benefit Organisation, a registered Scottish charity. It is at the heart of the West Lothian community, helping people to improve their wellbeing and make healthy lifestyle choices. We care passionately about the service we provide to the people who live, work and visit West Lothian. As a valued organisation that understands, cares about and engages with its community, we are the delivery partner of choice for West Lothian organisations responsible for improving people’s lives through sport, health and physical activity, outdoor education and culture
The job will have overall responsibility for all aspects of Howden Park Centre’s technical operation and technical infrastructure in accordance with health and safety legislation and policy.
The post involves the operation and maintenance of lighting, sound and AV, supervision of full/part time and casual technical staff and the pre-rigging of the auditorium to touring company hirers’ specifications.
Core Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the building in accordance with health and safety legislation and policy
- Co-ordinate the day-to-day work activities of full time/part time and casual technical staff
- Responsible for the operation and maintenance of lighting, sound audio visual and other technical equipment
- Provide technical support and advice to all users
- Liaise with Property Services to ensure compliance with building maintenance requirements
- Rig, operation and control sound, lighting and projection equipment; acting as stage management and crew as required
- Maintain all technical equipment in safe and good working order and ensure electrical equipment is tested annually (PAT) and that it is inspected regularly
- Undertake minor repairs
- Develop and advise on technical procedures
- Plan to meet the technical requirements of the venue and its programme and approve staff rotas to ensure adequate cover
- Supervision and support of technical staff including personal reviews, assessing and responding to staff training needs –maintaining records as appropriate
- Monitoring shared email account
- Provide technical support and advice to hirers to ensure successful and safe use of the premises
- Implement, promote and adhere to health and safety legislation and guidance to ensure that staff and external customers work safely
- Liaise with programme performers, companies and agents on technical requirements for visiting productions
- Establish and regularly maintain an inventory of equipment and related stock
- Budget monitoring
- Ensure compliance with Conditions of Let with specific reference to technical requirements
- Carry out risk assessments and ensure that hirers and visiting companies and performers undertake and adhere to risk assessments
- Ensure access for visiting companies is managed
- Liaise with Front House staff to co-ordinate performance requirements
The above list is illustrative, not exhaustive. Accordingly, there may be a requirement to undertake additional duties, consistent with the level of the post, as directed by management.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Experience of technical management; both in venues and on tour
- Knowledge of current Health and Safety legislation and working practice
- Ability to organise and prioritise a personal workload and the work of other staff
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to deadlines
- Ability to lead a team effectively
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to establish good working relationships with both internal and external customers
- Experience of working effectively with amateur and professional performance companies
- Able to work flexibly and with attention to detail
- Ability to use appropriate software packages, ie, Microsoft office – word, excel and the web
- Experience of dealing with suppliers to source equipment
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
- Budget experience
- Experience of preparing and working with risk assessments and method statements
- Knowledge and experience of lighting design
- Knowledge and experience of all aspects of technical theatre, including rigging, focussing lights, power
- Knowledge and experience of sound, including rigging and operation of digital and analogue mixing desks
- Knowledge and experience of working with Q-Lab (audio and visual)
- Knowledge and experience in projection/AV/Video
- Knowledge and experience of Lake Controller for Lab Gruppen Amps
- Knowledge of DMX lighting control protocol
- Knowledge of the following: Zero88 FLX desk, Avolities Tiger Touch Desk, Allen & Heath D-Live equipment, Soundcraft Si desks
- Hold or willingness to obtain IOSH Managing Safely within the first year of employment
- Hold or willingness to obtain PASMA and IPAF (PAV) within the first year of employment
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of networking protocol
- Ability in soldering, including to PCBs, connectors, etc
- Knowledge of CCTV (IP and Analogue systems)
- Required to take possession of security keys to open and close the facility as required
- The work can be physically demanding and includes working at heights and carrying heavy equipment
- The role is to work 36 hours per week. These hours will vary according to the programme requirements will be made up of mainly unsocial hours (evenings and weekends) and may include working six days full or part days per week.
- Last minute changes are common in this role and so flexibility around work is required
Core organisational competencies
Champions the service, focusing on individual customer’s needs and responding with service that surpasses their expectations.
Honesty and integrity
Being truthful, keeping promises and commitments and making ethical decisions.
Respect for equality and diversity
Understanding others’ behaviours and culture and treating everyone fairly.
Personal responsibility for making things happen – being accountable for your own actions.
- This position is subject to a Basic Disclosure Scotland check.
- The job-holder is required to ensure technical knowledge and skills are kept up-to-date
- Required to work flexibly including public holidays, evenings and weekends, to meet service demands.
- You will be required to be aware of current Health and Safety Policy and to take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.