Job Purpose – overview
Xcite West Lothian Leisure (Xcite) is a Community Benefit Organisation, a registered Scottish charity. It is at the heart of the West Lothian community, helping people to improve their wellbeing and make healthy lifestyle choices. We care passionately about the service we provide to the people who live, work and visit West Lothian. As a valued organisation that understands, cares about and engages with its community, we are the delivery partner of choice for West Lothian organisations responsible for improving people’s lives through sport, health and physical activity, outdoor education and culture.
Your role is to manage the work of the Finance, Payroll and Admin team to ensure an effective, efficient Finance, payroll and Admin service is delivered to meet the needs, and the objectives, of the Charity.
Core Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Manage the Finance support team to ensure a comprehensive Finance, Payroll and Admin service is delivered that contributes to the achievement of the Finance team’s targets and objectives.
- Manage the reporting accounting processes that relate to profit and loss and balance sheet
- Manage the credit control processes including accurate and efficient processing of financial transactions, membership direct debits and invoicing.
- Manage accruals and debt recovery ensuring accounts are verified and reconciled.
- Support staff responsible for budgets to enable them to manage these budgets efficiently.
- Manage the range of re-sale stock bought and sold and the management of regular stock checks.
- Manage the payroll in line with the Charity’s policies and procedures.
- Deliver training for managers
- Develop and implement a framework of procedures and working processes
- Identify and communicate areas for improvement and champion quality standards and quality standard frameworks.
The above list is illustrative, not exhaustive. Accordingly, there may be a requirement to undertake additional duties, consistent with the level of the post, as directed by management.
Essential Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Hold an HND in accountancy or equivalent
- 2-3 years relevant experience working in a post with similar line management accountabilities.
- VAT Knowledge – Standard and Exempt incom
- Understand financial systems including BACS.
- Knowledge and experience of double entry transactions, debits and credits.
- Competent level of skill with Excel & Word.
- Excellent organisation skills and the ability to prioritise workload.
- An excellent ability to demonstrate the core organisational competencies and a good level of management competency.
- Hold or willingness to study for a Leadership & Management qualification (level 3) within first year in post.
- Hold or willingness to study for ILM Coaching qualification (level 3) within first year in post.
Willingness to continuously develop and attend training and development sessions in line with your personal training plan, on occasion out-with your normal hours of work, to ensure the required level of competence.
Desirable Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Professional membership of Central Council of Accounting Bodies (CCAB) or equivalent
- Hold or be working towards Charter Institute to Payroll Professional Diploma (CIPP).
- Knowledge and understanding of Balance Sheet, Trading Statements and Profit & Loss.
- Knowledge and experience of National Statistic Return, and Booking and Finance.
- Knowledge and understanding experience of working in a Charity/third sector organisation.
- Knowledge and experience of budget processes.
- Control aged debtors and aged creditors.
- Understanding of pre-payments and accruals.
- MRM Link to Exchequer.
- Excel OLE link direct to Exchequer.
- As a member of the extended management team, provide leadership and motivation to peers, colleagues and Administrative Assistants, Accounts and Administrative Assistants and Finance Payroll and Administrative Assistants.
- Lead on strategic and operations plans for the Finance Team, including determining resource allocation and ways of working.
Core organisational competencies
Champions the service, focusing on individual customer’s needs and responding with service that surpasses their expectations.
Honesty and integrity
Being truthful, keeping promises and commitments and making ethical decisions.
Respect for equality and diversity
Understanding others’ behaviours and culture and treating everyone fairly.
Personal responsibility for making things happen – being accountable for your own actions.
Core Management competencies
Developing self and others
Investing time and resources in developing self and others’ capability.
Team working/Leading and inspire
Motivating others and developing teams to deliver the Charity’s objectives.
Making sense of complex and disparate ideas and innovating.
Investigating and gathering information in order to make sound commercial decisions.
Being business focused with a desire to constantly improve performance.
Partnership working/stakeholder management
Working effectively with others inside and outside the Charity to achieve the best outcomes.
Analysis and decision making
Identifying and analysing relevant data from multiple sources. Making objective and timely decisions based on available evidence and sound analysis. Generating a range of ideas to support decision making process.
- This post is subject to a basic check from Disclosure Scotland.
- You will be required not to have claimed bankruptcy, be bankrupt, be subject to personal insolvency or convicted of a relevant offence such as fraud in the previous five years after release from prison.
- Attendance at evening and weekend events may be required on occasion.
- You will be required to be aware of current Health and Safety Policy and to take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.