Job Purpose – overview
West Lothian Leisure is a Community Benefit Organisation, a registered Scottish charity. It is at the heart of the West Lothian community, helping people to improve their wellbeing and make healthy lifestyle choices. We care passionately about the service we provide to the people who live, work and visit West Lothian. As a valued organisation that understands, cares about and engages with its community, we are the delivery partner of choice for West Lothian organisations responsible for improving people’s lives through sport, health and physical activity.
Your role as a Domestic Assistant is to ensure that the facility is maintained to the highest standard of cleanliness whilst working as part of a wider team to deliver excellent customer service. The role is also responsible for preparing and serving meals to residents, members of the general public and other Centre users.
Core Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Undertake cleaning duties to ensure the highest standard of cleanliness
- Undertake cleaning duties to the required schedule
- Use chemical agents as directed to protect the Charity’s assets
- Empty waste bins or similar receptacles, transporting waste material to designated collection points.
- Carry out, under supervision, simple preparation of foods e.g. vegetable preparation, finishing off of meals.
- Assist in the serving of meals.
- Any other duties that the cook considers necessary from time to time to ensure the smooth running of the kitchen and the meal service.
- At times when there are special functions in the Centre, assist in the preparation, presentation and serving of buffets and on some occasions you will be required to “waitress serve”.
- Cleaning and restocking of vending machines.
- The operation of the laundry equipment.
- Deliver excellent customer service and resolve customer complaints should they arise
- Promote products and services to customers and visitors
- Set up and take down sports equipment as may occasionally be required
The above list is illustrative, not exhaustive. Accordingly, there may be a requirement to undertake additional duties, consistent with the level of the post, as directed by management.
Essential Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Demonstrate good core competencies
- Basic knowledge of good hygiene practices
- Must be able to physically lift loads up to 25 kg in accordance with manual handling procedures.
Desirable Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Prior experience of cleaning
- Elementary Food Hygiene Certificate
- Previous kitchen experience
- Face to face customer service experience, preferably in similar leisure environment
- A working knowledge of Health and Safety responsibilities in a swimming pool (where applicable) and sports centre environment
- Take possession of security keys to open and close the facility as required.
- Regular work with cleaning chemicals.
- Will work in a hot kitchen environment with peak busy times.
Core organisational competencies
Champions the service, focusing on individual customer’s needs and responding with service that surpasses their expectations.
Honesty and integrity
Being truthful, keeping promises and commitments and making ethical decisions.
Respect for equality and diversity
Understanding others’ behaviours and culture and treating everyone fairly.
Personal responsibility for making things happen – being accountable for your own actions.
- This position is subject to a Basic Disclosure Scotland check.
- Hours will are likely to include evenings and weekend working
- You will be required to be aware of current Health and Safety Policy and to take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.