Job Purpose – overview
Xcite West Lothian Leisure (Xcite) is a Community Benefit Organisation, a registered Scottish charity. It is at the heart of the West Lothian community, helping people to improve their wellbeing and make healthy lifestyle choices. We care passionately about the service we provide to the people who live, work and visit West Lothian. As a valued organisation that understands, cares about and engages with its community, we are the delivery partner of choice for West Lothian organisations responsible for improving people’s lives through sport, health and physical activity.
Your role as Café Supervisor is to prepare and serve a range of simple hot and cold meals, drinks, sandwiches and snacks and to supervise staff to ensure the delivery of an excellent catering service.
Core Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Prepare and serve a range of simple hot and cold meals, drinks, sandwiches and snacks
- Supervise the work of café staff
- Actively promote the healthy eating agenda.
- Assist with supplies and manage stock processes
- Ensure adherence to all health and safety legislation and HACCP System for food hygiene standards
- Ensure adherence to the organisations, policies, procedures and working guidance
- Actively promote and sell products and services
- Maintain vending machine stock and operation
- Ensure the highest standards of cleanliness in and around the café area
- Ensure that cash takings are secure and counted in line with policies and procedures.
- Undertake administrative functions and maintain accurate records
- Carry out general tasks including routine maintenance and cleaning duties
The above list is illustrative, not exhaustive. Accordingly, there may be a requirement to undertake additional duties, consistent with the level of the post, as directed by management.
Essential Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- A good ability to demonstrate the core competencies and good management competencies
- REHIS Elementary Food Health and Hygiene Level 2
- Excellent customer service experience and skills preferably gained in the leisure industry
- Basic food preparation and food assembly to comply with Food safety & HACCP
- Stock management and merchandising experience
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Willingness to continuously develop and attend training and development sessions in line with your personal training plan, on occasion out-with your normal hours of work, to ensure the required level of competence
Desirable Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Successful study at HNC level or above or equivalent.
- Recognised First Aid at Work qualification.
- Working knowledge of IT including MS Office packages.
- A working knowledge of Health and Safety responsibilities in a catering environment.
- Experience of supervising others
- Good administrative skills
- Will work in a hot kitchen environment with peak busy times
- Supervision of Café Assistants
- Key holder for Café facilities
Core organisational competencies
- Service delivery
- Champions the service, focusing on individual customer’s needs and responding with service that surpasses their expectations.
- Honesty and integrity
- Being truthful, keeping promises and commitments and making ethical decisions.
- Respect for equality and diversity
- Understanding others’ behaviours and culture and treating everyone fairly.
- Personal effectiveness
- Personal responsibility for making things happen – being accountable for your own actions.
- This post is subject to a basic check from Disclosure Scotland.
- Hours will be worked on a shift rota basis and is likely to include evenings and weekend working
- You will be required to be aware of current Health and Safety Policy and to take responsibility for your own safety and the safety of others who may be affected by your acts or omissions at work.